Transportation plays a vital role in Spartanburg County School District Four. The Transportation Department’s main objective is to transport your children to and from school safely, efficiently, and in a timely manner.
State Laws and Regulations Governing Routing and Bus Stops:
- Bus stops must be 2/10 of a mile or more apart.
- Students who qualify for transportation service must travel no more than 3/10 of a mile over publicly maintained streets to the nearest designated stop.
- To be eligible to ride a school bus, students must live 1 1/2 miles or further from school.
- A school bus cannot leave the approved route to pick up a student who lives within walking distance of less than 3/10 mile from where the bus passes.
Parents MUST submit request changes to bus stops in writing to the student’s principal. Phone calls cannot be accepted.
Buses stop at designated stops ONLY. Routes or regular stops shall never change except in an emergency or detour.
Safety Rules for Bus Riders:
- Be at the bus stop on time.
- Stay off the road while you are waiting for the bus.
- Do not move toward the bus until the bus has come to a complete stop, and the bus driver has signaled you to approach the bus.
- Never cross the street behind the bus.
- Follow school rules of behavior.
- Follow your bus driver’s directions.
- Never distract the driver.
- Exit only at your own bus stop.
- If you need to cross the street after exiting the bus, walk 12 feet in front of the bus on the right side of the road, and wait for the bus driver's signal to cross.
Parents MUST never board a school bus. (State Law SC code 59-67-245)
Notification of Delays:
Occasionally, bus delays may occur due to driver illness, mechanical problems, etc. To aid parents in obtaining information concerning interruptions in bus schedules, the district has implemented an automated calling service. A message will apprise you of any delays. In order to receive these messages, phone numbers must be updated with the school office.
Traversa Ride 360™:
Spartanburg Four has been implementing a new routing software this past year that has allowed routes to be more efficient and provide more accurate details of individual routes and route modifications. Parents and students are also able to access their bus stop location, route, pick-up and drop-off times via the Traversa Ride 360™ mobile app or website. To sign-up, scan the QR code or use the web address below:
Parents should contact Bryan Ard, Transportation Director, at 864-476-3158 to discuss transportation issues or concerns. Parents should not contact bus drivers directly.